Sunday, December 22, 2019

Book - Lord of the flies

Just by serendipity I happen to land on the book "Lord of the Flies". This is a classic book by Nobel prize winner William Golding.

While I started this book couple of times but due to one reason or another I was not able to progress beyond first few pages. Then one interesting thing happened. I was watching movie "The Commuter". In movie actor discusses about this book for 2 seconds in the context of a book report. Movie is average action thriller, but this was a sign to get back to book.

I won't try to summarize this book, as it maybe one of the most popular books in world. Top 100 read novels and two movies based on this.

Anyways what touched me is the fact that how attitude of the hunters changed when they painted their face. Paint is the symbol here. I think by attaching ourselves to symbols we loose our senses and try to justify that symbol by all means.

Book also reflects on the absurdity of behaviors and the fact that what will grown ups say when they find them doing these absurdities. It is again a symbolism for any group of people doing something illogical in the name of accepted belief and not wondering what will an intelligent being (maybe God) think of. 

No comments: