Sunday, December 1, 2019

Enacting a drama

In my village, Durga Puja is a big event. People staying in faraway cities also try to come and be present in this joyous occasion. This year I also got an opportunity to be there.

One evening while there is a group prayer (sandhya arati), I met one of my friends Mr. Lakshmanji. After some pleasantries, he casually asked if I am interested in playing a part in the drama. Let me tell you that the village drama is very prestigious. It typically starts around 10-11 in the evening and can go till up to 4-5 in the morning. It is watched by a large group of people and is broadcasted on loudspeakers. I have seen many dramas in Durga Pujas during my childhood. I have always been mesmerized by the meticulous performance exhibited by drama actors. Some village elders are still being revered for their drama prowess.  

So naturally, I was excited and terrified of this opportunity. I have never acted in any drama before this. Either at school or in college. The closest I did was in BHU where there was a 30-minute training session. Nowhere close to what is being done here. After some thought, I decided why not. After all I got one life to try. I was told that drama will be tomorrow. It will be a Maithili (mother tongue of Mithila region) drama. I requested for a small role.

After dinner, I went to the rehearsal place. In one room, there were many people seated together and were discussing what to do and what not to do. Some of them are very senior to me and many of them I didn't know. Anyways they were very kind to me and asked me to review one character. After reading the script I found it to be very lengthy and found my confidence dripping. So I requested some smaller role with not that much lengthy dialogues. Finally, I was given the role of a one-eyed lawyer who is kind of introducing the main character Mr. Nilo Kaka to the audience.

I rehearsed that scene with the person who will be playing the main character. He is a very senior person and many times acted drama veteran. Further, his character was insulting my character in the drama which was unnerving for some weird reason. Initially, it was very hard. I was not loud enough. I was facing in wrong direction and so on. After couple of retakes I found some strength. By then it was a late-night and we parted.

The next day I tried to remember my lines as much as possible. Harassed my family members with my dialogues. In the evening I was messaged on the loudspeaker to meet. In the rush of all this, it didn't come to my mind to find out what will be the costume, etc. I presumed that drama committee will provide it. Obviously, I was wrong. It is volunteer work and I had to arrange a suitable dress. They helped me in finding the eye patch which is very essential for my character.

After a few more rehearsals with my friend Mr. Lakshamji I was as ready, I could be. One of the big learning for me was the importance of backstage support staff. There were few people who were helping artists with makeup. The atmosphere was very jovial. The role of women is also played by men. They were wearing saree and blouse and joking all around. The most important role is of the prompt reader. This person is responsible for reading lines of character in a medium voice so that the microphone doesn't catch it and at the same time, artists are able to hear it. The role is the lifeline of drama.

Anyways my turn came in and I was ushered in. I relaxed and tried to enjoy this moment. To my surprise, I did quite okay and so was told by others later. It was a very rewarding experience for me and I have so many learning lessons.



No comments: