Friday, August 7, 2009

Book Reading : "Snowball"

First time i heard the name "Warren Buffet" was from my friend Trilok Agrawal (aka TK from ITBHU days). He was then studying management at IIT Kharagpur and was planning to come to US to somehow meet him. So he was telling me he is coming to meet him, and my question to him was who is this fellow? TK was shocked to find that i don't know him despite having been in US for couple of years now. Anyways his plan didn't materialize and this was my way of knowing about him.
After that i did little bit of research on Warren and found out that he is a person who has become rich by investing in stocks. Then from here and there i got tits and bits of information about him. Mostly by chatting with my friends.
Last year i got to know that a book has been written on his life and i got curious to read about this book. I looked up on internet and its price was not in my reach. So i reserved it in Fremont library. I was surprised to find that i am 46th person waiting for this book. Eventually after about 5 months i got the email that this book is available for me. That has been my highest wait time for any book from library.
Wow this book is amazingly thick. 838 pages to be exact. If i were not that interested and curious by so many people wanting to read this book, i would have never thought about reading such thick book.
Anyways i started it, and believe me it is very interesting from the very first page. I have been reading it page by page during weekends and night time during weekdays. So far i have been able to reach the section where Warren has already built a good set of partnership and is working with Charlie Munger. And it is about 25 % of the book. Alas library gives you only 3 weeks to read a book, and my time is up. I have to return it tomorrow as it is already on hold. I will recommend this book to everyone, and i am going to put it on request as soon as i return it.

No comments: