Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dell problem revisited.

This is a continuous story. Other parts of the story are here.
Part1
Part2

Yesterday i recieved the replacement hard drive. It was shipped using the overnight shipment from Fedex. As i had requested Dell has sent me a screwdriver and 4 spare screws. They also sent another set of installer CD and DVDs. So far so good. When i looked at the hard drive, it was from Toshiba and there was a label saying it is "refurbished". I have never used a refurbished item yet so that made me little skeptical. It would have been real great if they had sent me a 1 page instruction manual for how to do it. Although to Dell's credit, their customer support guy called me at around 7:15 in the evening. But i was away and couldn't pickup his call. He was supposed to give me instructions on how to do the drive replacement. Anyways after dinner, i found some youtube videos of how to replace a dell hard drive. One of them is this. It is real easy. You just need to have a proper screwdriver, little patience and some common sense. So i took out the faulty hard drive. It was from Seagate. I will do some research to find out which hard drive is more reliable Toshiba or Seagate. More on that later. After the new hard drive was properly screwed, on start it did some installation. The whole installation process was automatic. It went on for about 20 minutes. In the end it asked me to configure the OS, saying what language, timezone, what should be the name of computer etc. After that i configured it to connect to my home wireless. Finally back in business. We will monitor its behavior for couple of days before saying that everything is all right. I have spent around 3-4 hours on this hard drive issue. Hopefully this will be the last of problems.

No comments: